Thursday, November 24, 2011

Warwick Davis Is The Only Little Person In England

So it's Thanksgiving and I'm sitting in the living room watching Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2, instead of writing like I should be, because a) I've been terrible at writing the last few days and b) I'm pretending to participate in Thanksgiving like a real person, and I'm noticing how Warwick Davis is clearly the only little person in the United Kingdom.

Has anyone noticed how Warwick Davis has like three roles in these movies? He plays Flitwick, Griphook, and some other goblin we saw in one of the middle movies I think. Maybe not, but whatever. I understand that he's the only little person who's a big star (pun ABSOLUTELY INTENDED) but I don't think it's necessary to cast stars in EVERY SINGLE ROLE, is it? I mean, the kids obviously weren't stars, which, okay, that's a different thing. But I know there's more LP actors out there, and who the hell was Domhnall Gleeson before these movies? That's definitely a much bigger role, too. (I'm trying really hard to minimize my little person jokes. I don't think I've really said anything offensive or hateful, though. I have allergies, you have a bone disorder. Sortof. I guess that varies based on the type of dawrfism. Little-person-ism?)

Let's not even get really started on my confusion over the term. I understand that it's the politically correct term right now, and that's fine -- lesbian is the politically correct term for me even though I really find it unnecessary to name a sexuality after a geographical location. But really, is this the best we can come up with? Doesn't calling someone a "little person" sound a little...diminutive? That actually wasn't a pun (mostly), I mean diminutive in the language sense where it carries a connotation of the thing referred to being very young or cute. Like, "awww, lookit the little person!" That's what the term sounds like to me. I am sure we can come up with something better.

You know that whole "don't eat until dinner" rule on Thanksgiving? Do gummy worms count as breaking the rule? They're not really food, and I really want some sugar...

1 comment:

  1. :D Nope you're not breaking the rule gummy worms are not a meal. I myself had a swish cake roll just one hour before dinner to quiet the beast growling in my stomach LOL. New follower and I'm flsandcastle on NaNo the Lake County ML :)

    my blog if you'd like to stop by is http://gladiatorspen.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete