Saturday, January 14, 2012

Gay Actors

So I read about how SHOCKING it always is when a gay actor plays straight, and how actors don't want to come out for fear audiences won't buy them trying to play straight because that's the vast majority of the roles out there (which is problematic enough of itself -- straight people outnumber gay people by about 10 to 1, but mainstream straight movies outnumber mainstream gay movies by...I don't even know. 1000 to 1? -- but we'll come back to this). I find it ridiculous, because what if I don't buy a straight actor playing gay? Does anyone give a shit about that? Based on Brokeback Mountain, I doubt it.

Which brings me to the other point: name two mainstream gay movies in the last ten years. I can only think of Brokeback Mountain, a movie my stepfather still refuses to be in the same room with while it's playing. Black Swan doesn't count -- both of the characters involved were otherwise straight, and the entire scene was basically a hallucination the schizophrenic main character was having that symbolized "embracing her dark side." I've made plenty of arguments why this is not homophobic, because it's not, but it doesn't make Black Swan a legitimate gay movie either. I'm going to do an experiment right now and check all the movies in the past 10 years that have a TVTropes page. I would say probably 95% of mainstream movies and a good percentage of significant cult/indie movies have a page on that site, so it should be a fairly good sample. We'll see how many are gay movies.

No comments:

Post a Comment